Steamed Garlic and Thyme Mussels
Makes: 12 servings
Carbs per Serving: 8.25 grams
Protein per Serving: 23.75 grams
Fat per Serving: 17.67 grams
? 6 lb live mussels
? 1/3 cup olive oil
? 3/4 cup butter
? 6 garlic cloves, minced
? 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
? 3/4 cup diced onion
? 3/4 cup diced tomato
? 3/4 cup white wine
? 1 1/2 cups broth, chicken or seafood
? 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
? 2/3 tsp sea salt
? 1/3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Clean and scrub the mussels very well, then trim off the beards. Place them in a bowl and fill them with cool water until completely submerged. Set aside.
- Place a heavy bottomed pot over medium flame and combine the butter and olive oil in it. Once the butter has melted, stir in the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the thyme, tomato, broth, lemon juice, and white wine. Season with salt and pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Drain the mussels, then add to the pot. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Shake the pot to redistribute the mussels inside. Do not open the lid until after 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mussels to a bowl. Throw away those that have not opened. Serve at once.