Southern Classic Pulled Pork with Cabbage Slaw
Makes: 4 servings
Carbs per Serving: 2.5 grams
Protein per Serving: 40 grams
Fat per Serving: 9.25 grams
? 2 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
? 1 1/4 Tbsp olive oil
? 1/3 cup light beer
? 1 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
? 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
? 2 Tbsp stevia or coconut sugar
? 1/2 Tbsp paprika
? 1 tsp onion powder
? 1 tsp garlic powder
? 1 tsp mustard powder
? 1/2 tsp salt
? 1/2 tsp black pepper
? 1/2 tsp ground cumin
? 1/3 cup shredded cabbage
? 1/8 cup shredded carrot
? 1/6 cup sliced scallions
? 1 1/2 Tbsp keto mayo or mayonnaise
? 1/2 tsp mustard
? 1/8 tsp salt
? 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Make the slaw by combining the mayo, salt, pepper, and mustard in a bowl. Toss in the cabbage, carrots, and scallions to coat. Mix well then chill before serving.
- In a small bowl, combine the rub ingredients very well. Massage the rub all over the pork.
- Place a skillet over medium high flame and heat the olive oil. Brown the pork on all sides, then set aside.
- Pour the beer into the skillet and use a spatula to scrape the pan and loosen up browned bits. Remove from heat and pour the mixture into a slow cooker.
- Add the tomato paste and apple cider vinegar into the slow cooker and mix well. Place the browned pork in the cooker and coat with the liquid. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low, until internal temperature in the center of the pork reads 180 to 200 degrees F.
- Take the pork out of the slow cooker and transfer into a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Place a skillet over a high flame and pour the liquid from the slow cooker into it. Bring to a boil, then set to medium low and let simmer until liquid reduces to half.
- Shred the pork with two forks then pour the hot liquid all over. Toss to coat. Serve the pork with the slaw.