Chicken and Lemon Soup
Makes: 6 servings
Carbs per Serving: 8 grams
Protein per Serving: 42.67 grams
Fat per Serving: 67.5 grams
? 12 large chicken drumsticks
? 16 baby carrots, peeled
? 2 large spring onions, sliced
? 2 large celery stalks, chopped
? 10 cups water
? 12 large eggs
? 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
? Juice from 3 lemons
? 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
? 3 tsp sea salt
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a soup pot over medium flame. Stir in the carrots, spring onion and celery. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Season the chicken drumsticks with salt, then place into the pot. Fry for about a minute per side.
- Add the water. Cover, then reduce flame to low and cook for half an hour.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. Fold the yolks into the whites, and then gradually stir in half of the lemon juice.
- Pour the olive oil into a large bowl and gradually stir in the remaining lemon juice. Set aside.
- Remove the soup pot from the flame. Place another soup pot over low heat and pour the egg mixture into it through a sieve.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Gradually pour the hot chicken stock into the egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- Remove the bones and skin from the drumsticks, then transfer to a bowl. Add the carrots, and then pour the olive oil and lemon juice mixture on top. Toss to coat.
- Divide the egg soup among 6 bowls, and then arrange the meat and carrot on top. Serve at once.