Beef and Tomato Stew
Makes: 6 servings
Carbs per Serving: 15 grams
Protein per Serving: 75.67 grams
Fat per Serving: 70.67 grams
? ¾stick butter, at room temperature
? 1½lb flank steak, butterflied at the butcher?s
? 3 cups beef broth
? 1½cups pureed tomato
? ¾cup pine nuts
? ½cup almond meal
? ¾cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
? 3 tsp minced garlic
? 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
? 2/3 cup olive oil
? 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
? 1½Tbsp dried Italian herb blend
? Sea salt
? Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the pine nuts, almond meal, butter, garlic, parsley, Parmesan cheese, and xanthan gum in a food processor. Process until combined, then season with salt and pepper. Process to combine.
- Spread the mixture all over the inner folds of the meat, then roll up tightly. Secure with butcher?s twine.
- Place a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium flame and heat through. Add the oil and swirl to coat.
- Stir in the onion and sautéuntil translucent. Add the rolled up beef steak and cook until browned all over, turning occasionally with tongs. Take care not to puncture the meat and disturb the filling.
- After the beef is browned, add the pureed tomato, dried herbs, and beef broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover loosely. Simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, turning the beef once every 15 minutes.
- Mix the sauce well, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the internal temperature of the steak has reached 170 degrees F, carefully remove it from the pot and set aside. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, slice the beef into 12 equal portions. Divide among four bowls, then ladle the sauce on top. Serve piping hot.